Saturday, April 14, 2012

Titanic paintings - grade 2

I really wanted to come up with a lesson related to the Titanic, because it is quite relevant right now. With the anniversary of the ships voyage, and the films re-release, students probably have more knowledge about the Titanic now than in previous years.

I attempted this lesson with grade 2's, and it went perfectly. We finished it in well under an hour, everything from drawing to painting to making the chalk sky (using a technique for the clouds that I found at Smart Class).

Materials used:
Sharpie
Chalk pastel (sky, smoke coming from chimneys)
Liquid watercolor (red, black)
Tempera pucks (yellow, blue)
Metallic gold paint (windows on boat)

Here's a photo how-to for these simple Titanic boats!



Below, some photos of my students working on them, and some of their finished results!


5 comments:

  1. Nice way to honor the story of the Titanic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The kids really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. These are fantastic! I especially love the gold windows. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you! I was so excited to see your name in my email as a commenter - it feels like an art blogger celebrity is reaching out to me! Your praise means so much!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! You have a lovely blog, and I'm a new follower ~ So nice to meet you!
    Hugs,
    Anne ♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...